We are required by the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule to provide a “Notice of Privacy Practices” to inform you about:
- How your medical information may be used and disclosed
- How you can get access to your health information
We are also required, by law, to state in writing that you received the notice:
- The law does not require you to sign the “Acknowledgement of receipt of notice of Notice of Privacy Practices”.
- Signing the acknowledgment does not mean that you have agreed to any special uses or disclosures (sharing) of your health records.
- Refusing to sign the acknowledgement does not prevent us from using or disclosing health information as HIPAA permits.
- If you refuse to sign the acknowledgement, we must keep a record of this fact.
Following is a summary our Notice of Privacy Practices:
- Get an electronic or paper copy of your medical record.
- Ask us to correct your medical record.
- Request confidential communications.
- Ask us to limit what we use or share.
- Get a list of those with whom we have shared information.
- Get a copy of this Privacy Notice.
- Choose someone to act for you.
- File a complaint if you feel your rights are violated.
- For certain health information you can tell us your choices about what we share.
- In some cases, we never share your information unless you give us written permission.
Our Uses & Disclosures
- Treat you.
- Run our organization.
- Bill for your services.
- Help with public health and safety issues.
- Do research.
- Comply with the law.
- Respond to organ & tissue donation requests.
- Work with medical examiner or funeral director.
- Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement and other government requests.
- Respond to lawsuits and legal actions.
- Maintain privacy and security of your PHI.
- Advise you of breaches that might compromise your PHI.
- Follow the duties & practices of this notice.
- Not use or disclose your information other than as prescribed
Where You Can Find Our “Notice of Privacy Practices”
Our Notice of Privacy Practices can be found:
- Located in this Client Handbook
- Posted in our Agency office; and/or,
- Displayed on patient online knowledgebase
You will receive a Notice of Privacy Practices:
- Usually at your initial assessment
- In an urgent situation, you will receive notice as soon as possible after the event.
Anyone may request to see our Notice of Privacy Practices.